Helping children who face seemingly insurmountable odds is the important work of CEDARS. Founded in 1947 by the Reverend Charles and Alberta Danner, CEDARS continues their vision today to create a place where children can “experience a real childhood and begin planning for the future.”
That simple act of kindness more than 60 years ago has resulted in thousands of children building new family lives. The Danners’ passion still lives on through our work today as we offer young people safe shelter — and the skills to adapt to a quickly changing world.
Today’s reality is harsh, and the challenges disturbing. All homes today are not safe for every child. Poverty, drug use, mental illness, criminal activity, and neglect place children at extreme risk.
CEDARS continues to respond, giving hope to youth in need and direction to families struggling to stay together.
It is the mission of CEDARS to help children who have been abused, neglected, and homeless achieve safety, stability, and enduring family relationships.
• a safe, secure place for over 3,500 children and youth each year
• a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization
• a United Way partner
• a "Better Business Bureau Accredited Business" and 2005 BBB Integrity Award winner
• nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation (COA) and National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
• a top-rated charity with the American Institute of Philanthropy, a nationally prominent charity watchdog service
See how we have built brighter futures for the children and families who have crossed our threshold by clicking on this timeline.
Become part of the CEDARS tradition. To join our mailing list, sign up here or call us at (402) 434-KIDS (5437) for more information.